Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Pan God of the Wild
The Goddess Athena
Add "All Pages"
Turn ads off - $5/month
Everything you need to know about Zeus!
Zeus is also known as the Roman god Jupiter. He was born to Kronos and Rhea, but his father swallowed his
children for fear of being overthrown. Rhea hid Zeus from Kronos on the island of Crete where he was raised by nymphs. When he grew older, he tricked his father into releasing his siblings and they revolted against him,
eventually overthrowing him. The universe was divided between the siblings.
Zeus recieved the heavens and was the supreme god. He was married to his sister, Hera. They had four children: Ares, god of war; Eileithyia, goddess of childbirth; Hebe, the goddess of youth; and Hephaestus, the god of fire. However, Zeus was not faithful and
had many affairs with multiple women. He also fathered many children out of these affairs.
1. Zeus is known as the father of the gods in the sense of being their protector.
2. The weapon that he is associated with is the thunderbolt.
3. His tree is the oak, his breastplate the aegis, and his bird the eagle.
4. The Olympics were played every four years in dedication to him. The Nemean games were also dedicated to him.
5. His principal shrines were at Dodona in Epirus and Olympia.
Connection to the Modern Day:
Zeus has still survived to this day. We may not worship him, but we still know who he is. We also still participate in the Olympics, even though we don't do this to honor him anymore. Still, we have kept the tradition alive. We also still have the sculptures the ancient Greeks have made in his likeness.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"